Thursday 28 July 2016

Singer, Davido Recalls How His Dad Was Not Initially In Support Of His Music Career

 

David Adeleke who goes by the stage name, Davido is one of the biggest musicians on the African continent right now revealed that at the beginning of his career his family especially his dad wasn’t supportive. He revealed this during an interview with Ebro Darden of Hot 97 in New York, a few days after his performance at One Africa Music Fest.

Davido said, ‘I was hanging out with D’banj at the time, he had that Kanye deal. I now told my Dad that I was trying to stay, and he was like ‘What? My friend you better go back to school,’ he recalled.

‘I called my roommate, and told him ‘Imma do this no more. If my Dad calls, tell him you don’t know where I’m at.

‘When I left, my family was looking for me for like six months. They sent a letter to D’banj house, they sent s letter to Psquare house, they sent letters to everybody’s house. My Dad was calling the school, and they were telling him; ‘He wasn’t even here for the past semester, he left..’ It was like the whole Nigeria knew who I was before I even dropped a single. Kamal that is my manager now, used to be Don Jazzy’s assistant. My Dad started calling him and said ‘if I see you guys with my son, all of you are getting arrested.’

During the interview, the ‘Dodo’ star revealed he and American rapper Young Thug, are working on three songs. He also spoke a little about his kind of music.

‘I don’t even call my music Afrobeat, I call mine Afrofusion. To me it’s just too different. I can’t tell you it’s Afrobeat, because it’s not. ‘You know the originator of the Afrobeat is Fela. Fela has a sound which I can say has heavy baseline, brass instrument, [and] the percussion is different. If you ask me ‘Gobe’ is Calypso, Afro mixed with Calypso. But I feel like the Afrobeat is catchy and has caught the wave since time. Because I know some Afrobeat songs that I don’t want to call Afrobeat. I call them Afro-Pop or I call Afro Trap. Everything is just still African music,’ he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...